Bread Loaf School of English Scholarship 2023GrantIn-Person
Monday, Jan 09, 2023
Bread Loaf School of English
The Academy for Teachers is modeled on The Bread Loaf School of English, at Middlebury College, where passionate students, most of them teachers, take inspiring classes in a beautiful mountain setting.
Full scholarships of $10,000, offered jointly by The Academy and Bread Loaf, will be awarded to Fellows of The Academy for Teachers who show a passion for literature, a love of creativity, and a devotion to teaching. We hope that six weeks among kindred spirits—reading, discussing, writing, playing—will send them into the next school year rejuvenated.
Applicants must be Academy for Teachers Fellows and full-time teachers, of any subject, in a New York City metro-area school. Applicants need not pursue a degree at Bread Loaf.
Preference will be given to applicants who have not previously attended the Bread Loaf School of English.
- Application deadline: January 9, 2023
- Scholarships offered: January 27, 2023
- Bread Loaf session begins: June 28, 2023
- Bread Loaf session ends: August 8, 2022
The following materials are required:
- A résumé.
- A writing sample of no more than 750 words (any sort of writing is acceptable—academic, fiction, non-fiction, poetry, journalism, etc.)
- In one sentence, tell us why you want to spend the summer at Bread Loaf. Then, expand on your reasons using 750 words or less.
Please arrange for a letter of recommendation to be emailed as an attachment from the recommender directly to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note: Selected scholars will need to provide official college transcripts to the Bread Loaf School of English; application materials for selected scholars will also be shared with the School.